There Are Capitalization Rules, and They Should Be Followed
July 6, 2015, 7:17 pm
Filed under: Grammar | Tags: , , ,

Remember when Prince wasn’t Prince? He was just a symbol?

Well, since it’s likely a huge pain to change your name to a symbol, some individuals have declared their uniqueness by writing their names in all lowercase letters. And legally having their names changed that way.

Yes, this is a thing. I even found someone who does this so you won’t think I’m lying. danah michele boyd says there are several reasons she has started writing both her name and “I” in lowercase letters, including:

• She finds that her name has more “balance” when written sans-caps.
  • She believes that capitalizing the pronoun “I” is “self-righteous.”
Look at these pretty capital letters while you let all this sink in.

Look at these pretty capital letters while you let all that sink in.

Anne Curzan, a professor of English at the University of Michigan, weighed in on the topic during the radio show That’s What They Say. She gives some really great insight into the history of letter capitalization, so take five minutes and give it a listen. It’s fascinating. Even for those who aren’t geeky about language…I think.

But then Anne says she’s thinking about writing her name without caps, following this new trend.

yoda rules to follow

So now you know my thoughts (and Yoda’s…and who can disobey Yoda?) on that.

What do you think? Are grammar rules alterable? Are capital letters really necessary? Sound off below.

And if you spell your name without capital letters…I’m sorry.