It’s National Grammar Day!

Today, March 4th, is National Grammar Day here in the United States.

A few things I will not tolerate on this day:

• Grammar spelled as “grammer.”
  • Sentences ended with prepositions.
  • Using “you and I” when “you and me” is appropriate.
  • Anyone who utters the sentence, “Grammar is stupid.”

To celebrate, enjoy some funny grammar memes. And then double-check your grammar habits.

national grammar day 1

Funny Memes

national grammar day 3

national grammar day 4

national grammar day 5

national grammar day 6

national grammar day 7

H/T to the following for the above memes: SocialTalent, Someecards, GeekFill, TES

And a Little Something Extra

The Reader’s Room has come up with something that may coerce me to actually watch basketball: the March Book Madness reading challenge. Hardcore readers: You don’t want to miss it.

I love Eat, Shoots and Leaves. But my grammar (and punctuation usage) is terrible. I love commas and insert them in all sorts of places.

Comment by N. E. White

You comma-lover, you.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Katrina

Hear! Hear! We wouldn’t want a gramma’ drama . . . oops . . . did I just start one by “contracting” grandma to step in for grammar? That went through my head, but may go over everyone else’s. Well, excuse me, but it is past midnight and strange things happen to one’s mind when writing comments so late, or would it be early since it is past midnight?

Comment by Karina Pinella

Is not writing comments past midnight kind of like no eating past midnight or you’ll turn into a gremlin?

Comment by Katrina

Hah!

Comment by Karina Pinella

The graphic about superfluous quotes is especially hilarious. The hidden msg in such quotes is often that the writer is a little embarrassed about his/her choice of words, but not sufficiently embarrassed to go to the trouble of figuring out how to say what he/she really means. In this case, it sounds like the intended meaning is something like “employee must rub hands on pants.”

Comment by Mellow Curmudgeon

English is not my native language, and I always appreciate any grammar-related posts. Having a Grammar Day is a wonderful tradition.

Comment by inesephoto

You could’ve fooled me! Your English is great!

Comment by Katrina

Katrina, sure it is not, but thank you so much for encouragement!

Comment by inesephoto

Great post!

I think that if English is your native language, you really ought to know this stuff by heart. I can forgive you if you’re foreign, but not if English is your mother tongue. There has to be discipline in speaking and writing if English is your first language. A touch of grace, you know?

Have a great day, Katrina!

Comment by Sarah

Ha! I love this! I decided I wouldn’t tolerate any of those things in 2016 or any other year thereafter. 🙂

Comment by maritzaortiz

Comment by Katrina

Reblogged this on Maritza Ortiz and commented:
Be a part of proper grammar movement! Correct EVERYONE! Any way you can raise awareness will help educate the public and future generations to come. 🙂

March 4 – National Grammar Day

Comment by maritzaortiz

Nice collection! Happy holiday to you.

Comment by Graham Stephen