#FridayBookShare – ‘Vampire Forensics’

Welcome to another edition of Friday Book Share.

#fridaybookshare readers books recommendation

The Book: Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend by Mark Collins Jenkins

I’m in the research stage for a story involving vampires, and this is the first book on my large to-be-read vampire-research pile.

First line of the book

You open the door.

Not terribly enticing.

Recruit fans by adding the book blurb

Take a journey into the macabre in search of those ultimate creatures of the night: the immortal beings who defy death by feeding on teh lifeblood of others–vampires. Generation after generation has found vampire lore–printed in old books, inscribed in medieval manuscripts, whispered by firelight in chimney corners, or written in moldering tombs and ancient bones–to be as fascinating as it is frightening. Yet its origins have always been shrouded in mystery.

Where did vampires first arise? Was Dracula really inspired by a 15th-century nobleman with the bloodcurdling name of Vlad the Impaler? Why are vampires so closely associated with epidemic disease and bats? What can we learn from the amazing recent discovery by national Geographic grantee Dr. Matteo Borrini of the buried remains of a 16th-century Venetian plague victim and suspected vampire? And what is it about graveyards that made people believe that the dead could prey on the living?

In Vampire Forensics, historian Mark Jenkins probes vampire legend and shows how modern forensics, anthropology, and archaeology have helped to dig up historical truths enshrined in these gruesome tales.

Introduce the main characters using only three words

• Bloodthirsty
  • Legendary
  • Mythical

Delightful Design (the book’s cover image)

vampire-forensics-front-cover

vampire-forensics-back-cover

Audience appeal (who would enjoy this book?)

Anyone interested in the legends and myths involving vampires–beyond Dracula or (god forbid) Twilight.

Your favorite line/scene

Learning about Fritz Haarmann. Very interesting and disturbed individual.

What are you currently reading?

*Heads up: if you click on the links to purchase any of the mentioned books from Amazon, know that I’m an affiliate. Your purchase will help me keep this blog going (i.e., I’ll earn money to buy books that I will then write about).*

Sounds good, will have to give it a go 🙂

Comment by Katie Marie

You’ll have to let me know what you think!

Comment by Katrina

Will do!

Comment by Katie Marie

Dig vampire novels myself, and have a few different authors on the shelf. This seems intriguing, might have to give it a go if the mountain of books to be read ever dissipates! Thanks for the bookshare. These are neat.

Liked by 2 people

Comment by BreakawayConsciousness

Just remember this isn’t a novel–it’s nonfiction. Glad you like the book shares!

Liked by 2 people

Comment by Katrina

You know, totally overlooked that! LOL. Appreciate the headsup though.

Ironically enough, my appreciation for the possibility of getting the book, just escalated a few magnitudes. The origins of myths/creatures/beings such as vampires [and others] has always intrigued me, and its not something you’ll randomly find unless you do thorough research. Hell! Didn’t even know this was available, then again, never ventured to research it either. It’s really awesome to see this.

Comment by BreakawayConsciousness

I have several nonfiction vampire books–you’ll see them in upcoming Friday Book Shares 🙂

Comment by Katrina

Two questions, as far as the affiliate goes, does ANY purchase help you a bit? Or is it just that particular book? Reason is that, usually try and make sure that my amazon purchases go through people’s virtual stores so they can gain from it, even if its only a purchase here or there. That’s why am asking.

Secondly, you’ say you’re researching vampires. Are you thinking of writing a book? Or is it for something else? Not trying to be nosy, just curious!

Comment by BreakawayConsciousness

As for your first question, if you were to click on the link and then buy anything from Amazon, it would benefit me as an affiliate.

For your second question, yes, I have a vampire story in the works. Not sure if it will be a novel or not–right now I’m still outlining/laying down the framework. 🙂

Comment by Katrina

That’s awesome! Completely understand what you mean. Well good luck either way. Keep us posted if possible.

Comment by BreakawayConsciousness

Of course! I’m a slow writer, so it may be a while…

Comment by Katrina